Black & Veatch Transport Network Architect in Overland Park, Kansas
Transport Network Architect
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Position requires an individual that is well experienced in engineering design for telecommunications transport networks as well as other associated disciplines. Person supports design activities, supervision and finalizing of engineering configurations, requirements and deliverables. Reviews general project objectives, definition of scope and development of concepts. Develops and monitors project control systems including schedules, man-day budgets, lists, bill of materials, etc. Sometimes directs the work of engineering technicians and support personnel. Has working knowledge of other engineering disciplines for the purpose of coordinating with other departments, engineering managers, field personnel and clients, and applies this knowledge in reviewing designs and resolving areas of concern.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The Transport Network Architect will be responsible for transport system architecture design and planning for Smart Grid utility clients. This includes creating system requirements, conceptual designs, network diagrams, implementation and preliminary support of transport system deployments.
Key duties include:
• Communicating directly with clients (sometimes non-technical clients) to identify current and future communication needs.
• Creating master communication plans to meet those client needs and receive buy-in from the client.
• Collaborate with and/or delegate responsibilities to a team of engineers.
• Assesses industry standards for models, and where appropriate, incorporates them into our architecture standards.
• Participate as subject matter expert or technical lead on major projects.
• Adhere to team processes and procedures and use of all documentation/tools.
• Optimize day-to-day operational stability with the continual need to improve the service and deploy new services, processes and technologies.
• Create or expand utility communication systems.
• Prepare Request for Information (RFI) and Request for Proposal (RFP) documentation for transport network systems, coordinate vendors, and evaluate vendor responses.
• Prepare procedures and perform lab testing of telecommunications systems as needed.
• Mentor others on the Telecommunication team.
Typically a minimum of 8 plus years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• 10 years experience in telecommunications industry or utility industry with focus on telecommunications.
• In depth knowledge of telecommunications transport services including time-division-multiplexing (e.g. T-1, SONET), DWDM, ROADM, G.709 Optical Transport Networks, Carrier Ethernet, etc.
• Some background of IP networking focused on service provider, utility, or carrier routing and switching, MPLS, etc.
• Some background of wireless technologies such as microwave radio, Wi-Max, LTE, etc.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral/presentation and written communication skills in both technical and non-technical language.
• Up-to-date, broad knowledge in all current communications and computing technologies and trends.
• BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, MIS, or related technical field
• Other required computer skills: Visio, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.