Black & Veatch Project Manager 1 in Overland Park, Kansas
Project Manager 1
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Manages all aspects of small Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC)/Service projects, including risk to cost, schedule, quality. Responsible for the day-to-day successful execution of contracted engineering, procurement, and construction scope in the areas of performance, financial metrics, planning, schedule, quality, contractual compliance, safety, and client satisfaction. Provides for the successful staffing of the project. Manages and leads small teams of multi-discipline professionals. Coordinates and integrates the activities associated with the engineering, procurement, construction, and startup elements of the project team, including the activities of all third party companies contributing to the initiative.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Project Complexity – Manages small, minimally complex project • Number of Projects and/or Clients – Manages one to a few clients and/or projects • Client Management- Obtains new/repeat business on small projects • Risk to B&V(Profit & Loss Responsibility)- Manages minimal risk • Officer Expectations and Responsibilities- None • Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary by project.
Bachelor of science degree. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Typically 5 years experience. Preferred Skills & Competencies: • Technical Background
Experience in leading projects for the design and implementation and/or upgrade of mobile radio systems, microwave networks, data radio (point to multi-point), and fiber optic networks. Fiber transmission (including DWDM) and microwave network multiplexing for SONET and broadband (IP over Ethernet) experience is a plus. The ideal candidate will also have prior experience in planning, engineering, and implementation of these technologies.
Experience with frequency coordination and FCC licensing.
Experience in managing projects for SCADA, telemetry, and security for utilities (electricity and water / wastewater) and governmental entities.
Knowledge of communication requirements for electric utility protective relaying schemes.
Hold commercial radiotelephone license preferred.
Professional Engineering registration preferred.
• Business Development - Foundational - Identifies client requirements. Develops and maintains relationships with clients. Conducts market research. Writes and presents project estimates and proposals including scope, cost, and schedule according to client requirements and bid processes.
• Business Acumen - Foundational - Negotiates contract commercial terms. Manages project budgets, costs, and receivables. Manages contracts and legal issues. Analyzes and reports health metrics as a basis for improvement. Applies knowledge of policies and regulations to project scope. Builds relationships with key stakeholders. Applies value creation.
• Execution - Foundational - Uses B&V project management phases & methodology including, project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & control, and closeout to direct work. Manages changes and risk on scope, cost, schedule, quality, and safety based on available resources and client requirements. Manages constructability and procurement. Manages warranty plan.
• Leadership - Foundational - Communicates clear expectations, goals, and vision. Manages performance of direct reports. Motivates, coaches, and mentors professionals. Delegates project work. Practices behaviors supporting diversity and inclusion. Manages conflict and collaboration to achieve results.
• Builds Networks
• Client Focus
• Develops Talent
• Directs Work
• Drives Vision & Purpose
• Financial Acumen
• Manages Complexity
• Manages Conflict
• Tech Savvy
• Values Differences
• Business Insight
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.