Black & Veatch Physical Security-Structural Engineer 5 in Overland Park, Kansas
Physical Security-Structural Engineer 5
Business Line:Govt Federal SE
The Black & Veatch Special Projects Corp. has its mission to provide a full range of services to our primary client base - U.S. Government agencies and departments. With the unique skill sets we have developed during the 100-plus years of service to our U.S. Government agencies client base, we are able to provide one-of-a-kind solutions to complex mission objectives that arise out of specific challenges faced by and unique to these agencies. Our primary areas of focus are: Architecture/Engineering (A/E) Services, Defense Program, Design/Build, Classified, and Environmental.
Functions as a technical specialist. Under general supervision, performs all aspects of physical security and structural engineering for conventional/complex structures. Broadens knowledge and skill set in area of discipline. May start to expand knowledge in other disciplines and/or functional areas.
Professional will provide Physical Security Analysis and Design & Structural Engineering work primarily for U.S. Federal Government facilities. The work will include:
• Blast Resistant Analysis (Linear and Non-Linear) and Design
• Glass Hazard Mitigation
• Progressive Collapse Analysis and Design
• Bullet and Forced Entry Resistant Design
• Structural Retrofits and Hardening
• Preparing calculations, drawings, and specifications,
• Performing material selection, research and develop recommendations.
• Designing primarily steel, concrete, masonry, and foundation type work,
• Providing office-based construction support (i.e. submittal reviews and answering RFIs).
The work may include:
• Providing field based construction support for short/long term assignments.
• Providing marketing, coordination, and interfacing with clients.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
General duties and responsibilities may include, however are not limited to:
• Promotes and supports a culture of Black & Veatch’s principles, behaviors, initiatives, and values; innovation; quality; and safety.
• Engineering Standards: Continues to learn and remains current on departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V Special Project’s policies and procedures. Applies to assigned tasks as appropriate.
• Quality/Continuous Improvement: Begins to independently apply knowledge and complies with B&V Special Project’s quality program relative to assigned tasks. Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
• Engineering Production: Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables. Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection. Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work. Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles. Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements. Recognizes, defines and resolves problems within assigned area. May provide direction and guidance to others. Candidate must be willing to work extended hours as necessary to meet deadlines and be a self-starter, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Project Coordination: Assigns tasks to and coordinates with other internal/external team members on complex projects. Initiates contact with other disciplines as needed to identify and coordinate details of the work.
• Client Focus: Actively seeks to understand client interests and drivers through normal client contact and through interaction and communication with project leadership. Applies understanding of client interests and drivers to their own behavior and performance of the work under his/her responsibility. May provide support to business development or pursuit activities.
• Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Shares current knowledge of latest technology and processes.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Design comprehensive solutions to mitigate the effects of blast against all types of structures. Determine how a design threat would impact a facility using non-linear, inelastic dynamic analysis methods to develop cost-effective solutions that provide protection without sacrificing aesthetic aspects.
• Typically a minimum of 6 years of experience performing engineering related duties. Requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering from either an ABET accredited program in the USA or an engineering program, offered by a foreign institution, accepted as valid in the home country or the country in which the individual is practicing. Professional Engineering License (PE). Experience with:
o Physical Security Analysis and Design with a focus in Blast Resistant Design and Analysis,
o 3D structural analysis applications,
o Linear and Non-Linear dynamic analysis
o Structural steel design
o Reinforced concrete
o Spread footings
o Mission Critical Facilities
o High Seismic design
o Experience with USACE requirements, specifications, and design processes including UFC 3-310-04, UFC 3-340-01, UFC 3-340-02, UFC 4-023-03, and UFC 4-010-01.
o Knowledge with SBEDS
• Work requires good communication skills, willing to serve on a multidiscipline project team, and willing to travel domestic and internationally.
Security: Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. government security investigation and shall meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.