Black & Veatch GIS Specialist 2 in Overland Park, Kansas
GIS Specialist 2
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Contract-to-Hire opportunity. Provides technical and analytical information management solutions through the use of software and databases for domestic or international projects. Functions in a GIS Specialist capacity under general supervision, performs moderately complex aspects of data administration, creation, analysis, reporting, mapping and/or application development. Applies knowledge of GIS and information management principles to prescribed techniques and procedures to complete project assignments. Builds on experience gained as GIS Specialist 1 (or comparable) by either obtaining more depth in specific subject area with the expectation that assignments are larger and more complex, or by gaining experience in more subject areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs analytical, technical, and/or developmental tasks as assigned, such as:
• Prepares and reviews maps and databases for specific elements of B&V projects.
• Develops or modifies deliverables based on rough sketches, marked-up copies and/or detailed verbal instructions. Develops necessary views, sections and details with supervision.
• Compiles, evaluates, modifies and analyzes data to support preparation of maps, tables, graphs, databases and reports.
• Performs minor computations such as material quantity estimate, dimensional checks, etc, as assigned.
• Research various websites for data applicable to each project.
• Establishes and maintains required files to document data references, analytical methods, calculations and rationale used in reaching conclusions.
• Continuously evaluates methods used to accomplish the activities they have been assigned. If this evaluation indicates that a process can be simplified, without sacrificing the integrity of the outcome, it should be discussed with the supervisor for possible implementation.
• Supports the development of schedules and budgets for information management related project tasks.
• Develops GIS-based tools, applications, databases, or similar solutions. May learn new programs or processes required for assignments.
• Performs additional tasks specific to an area of expertise or technology.
• Ensures that the deliverables and tasks that they work on are complete and meet Black & Veatch’s QA requirements. Continues familiarization with B&V procedures.
• Ensures that the deliverables are compliant with sketches, marked copies and written or verbal instructions.
• Assist project teams with automating processes and workflows.
Bachelors' degree in Physical, Earth, or Life Science from an accredited university; or equivalent job-related experience. Typically a minimum of 1 year of experience performing related activities. Good knowledge of GIS applications / development tools as applicable. Exposure to engineering-related concepts and functions desired. UK Qualification: Working towards industry recognised qualification or chartership e.g. RGS chartered Geographer.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Highly prefer 2+ years’ experience performing related tasks.
• 2 to 5 years of experience using ArcGIS Desktop.
• 1 to 2 years of experience with configuring map services using ArcGIS for Server or ArcGIS Online.
• 1 to 2 years of experience using ArcSDE and ArcGIS for Server implementation and administration experience
• Experience working with networks and topologies in GIS (Telecom preferable).
• An understanding of design and deployment for mobile/web based applications. ArcGIS Collector, iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, etc.
• Microsoft Office applications
• Software specific to expertise
• Analytical skills
• Attention to detail
• Interpersonal skills
• Mathematical skills
• Writing (creating text)
• Problem solving
• Ability to perform under moderate to high levels of stress
• Action oriented
• Drives Results
• Manages conflict
• Nimble learning
• Optimizes work processes
• Plans & aligns
• Tech savvy
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.