Black & Veatch Drafting Engineering Technician 3 in Overland Park, Kansas
Drafting Engineering Technician 3
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Black & Veatch has an opening for an experienced Drafting Engineering Technician. The position is contract to hire, potential to convert to permanent. Functions in a mid level engineering technician capacity. Under general supervision, performs functions requiring intermediate knowledge and use of electronic applications, standards and document control processes/procedures in support of creating and modifying deliverables. May begin to provide technical guidance to other engineering technicians.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Role will be responsible for drafting/design of wireless or wireline (ISP/OSP fiber) Telecom projects.
• Develop or modify deliverables based on GIS design, field gathered information, rough sketches, marked-up copies and/or detailed verbal instructions.
• Develops necessary layouts/views, sections and details with supervision.
• Learn and understand the standards and procedures of the current project and Black & Veatch.
• Performs minor computations such as material quantity estimate, dimensional checks, etc. as assigned.
• Learn new programs or processes required for assignments.
• Continuously evaluates methods used to accomplish the activities they have been assigned.
• If this evaluation indicates that a process can be simplified, without sacrificing the integrity of the outcome, it should be discussed with the supervisor for possible implementation.
• Ensures that the deliverables and tasks that they work on are complete and meet Black & Veatch’s QA requirements.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Diploma or Certificate preferred. Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
Typically a minimum of 2 years related work experience. Prefer 5+ years Drafting experience.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Understands and applies Computer Automated Drafting Design (CADD), information modeling or other applications or design or modeling skills and/or design principles and practices.
• Basic knowledge in (GIS, 3GIS, Visio and Civil 3D) is preferred, but not required.
• Basic knowledge of engineering standards, systems, document control, departmental guides and B&V policies and procedures.
• Basic industry knowledge and technology trends
• Basic knowledge of company quality program • Intermediate ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
• Basic knowledge of other disciplines
• Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies: • Learning on the Fly • Problem Solving • Perseverance • Patience • Time Management • Drive for Results • Self Development • Customer Focus • Listening • Informing
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.