Black & Veatch Construction Inspector 3 in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, United States
Construction Inspector 3
Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico-Guaynabo, Puerto Rico-Ponce, Puerto Rico-Virtual, Virtual-US
Business Line:Govt Federal SE
The Black & Veatch Special Projects Corp. has its mission to provide a full range of services to our primary client base - U.S. Government agencies and departments. With the unique skill sets we have developed during the 100-plus years of service to our U.S. Government agencies client base, we are able to provide one-of-a-kind solutions to complex mission objectives that arise out of specific challenges faced by and unique to these agencies. Our primary areas of focus are: Architecture/Engineering (A/E) Services, Defense Program, Design/Build, Classified, and Environmental.
Candidates selected must be U.S. citizens and able to successfully pass a Federal background investigation, to include financial and criminal history. Successful candidates must be able to commit to a 12 month assignment in remote locations working in excess of 50 hours per week.
Serves as an experienced construction inspector who may report to senior inspection staff on medium to large complex projects including: civil works, underground pipelines, bridges, water mains; or serve as a primary resource on less complex, smaller projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Reviews schedule updates with regard to general construction logic, potential conflicts, and activities or deliveries falling behind schedule. Evaluates contractor proposals of remedial actions to correct schedule problems. Monitors and reports on progress of work but seeks assistance from B&V professional schedulers on unusual or difficult issues.
• Provides technical interpretation of construction drawings and specification requirements in conjunction with the project or resident engineer. Leads, or assists the resident engineer, in the interpretation/clarification process during construction; coordinates responses with project or resident engineer and engineering disciplines; and writes responses for project controls assistant.
• Oversees the review, tracking, and distribution of contractor submittals from site, including coordinating with appropriate design disciplines for technical reviews; alerts contractor when necessary submittals are not received ahead of related construction.
• Interprets contract documents for QA/QC.
• Leads in evaluating change requests, claims, and cost proposals from contractor; coordinates responses with the project manager; and prepares change orders.
• Monitors and reports on pertinent site conditions when contractor indicates unforeseen subsurface or other changed conditions. Assists with logs and tracks all issues, proposed changes, change orders, and claims.
• Manages the administration of project documentation, records, and reporting onsite.
• Assures that contractor’s as-built records are monitored for accuracy and completeness, collected at end of the project, and forwarded to project engineer.
• Supervises and performs inspections as appropriate; schedules and witnesses field testing performed by others, including testing firms and field acceptance testing. Develops project construction punch lists for substantial and final completion. Coordinates and monitors quality assurance for all aspects and disciplines onsite for the project. Documents field observations. Serves as onsite liaison to owner and contractor. Adheres to safety, quality, and ethical standards in accordance with Division policies, standards, guides, and contractual commitments; and supervises staff compliance. Anticipates potential construction issues, such as dimensional or applicability conflicts, and works proactively with all parties to expedite solutions and mitigate any negative impacts to the project. Reviews, resolves inaccuracies with contractor, and recommends contractor’s payment requests to owner.
• Assists with coordination of equipment startup operations and operator training, and may manage these activities when required. Coordinates with project engineer or startup specialists for process startups.
• Responsible for providing direction to other inspectors. May supervise other field staff.
7+ years field experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Associate's degree in a construction-related discipline or craft apprenticeship preferred. Certifications for concrete, compaction and civil tests preferred. Inspection certification preferred.
• Strong attention to detail
• Intermediate knowledge of plans and specifications
• Basic knowledgeable of project controls and effect on time, cost, quality and communication
• Intermediate communications skills, both written and oral
• Intermediate understanding of heavy construction principles
• Intermediate problem solving skills
• Intermediate knowledge of heavy-construction materials and equipment
• Intermediate knowledge of heavy-construction means and methods
• Intermediate ability to read contract drawings and knowledge of specifications
• Intermediate problem identification and resolution skills
• Intermediate knowledge of project control systems
• Leadership skills
• Intermediate understanding of administrative & project polices and procedures
• Advanced skills in construction QA/QC and coordinating with design staff
• Intermediate skills in project controls, leadership and communications
• International Building Code (IBC) specialty inspections knowledge
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.