Black & Veatch OSP Design Lead Engineering Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO, Colorado
OSP Design Lead Engineering Specialist
CO-Colorado Springs, CO-Denver, FL-Orlando, FL-Tampa, KS-Overland Park, OH-Columbus
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
The OSP Design Lead will be responsible for quality inspections of the design placement of fiber optics cable, conduit, grounding and bonding inspections, project requirements, hand hole, pedestal and aerial terminal placement, project standards, and cable routing. Will work with subcontractor, client, and project team management to insure the quality of design. May provide technical guidance over a group or supervise engineering staff on projects of low to medium complexity. May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output. Functions as a technical specialist or in a lead role.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Person must be located in one of these locations to work out of one of these offices: Overland Park, Denver, Colorado Springs, Tampa, Orlando, or Columbus.
• Attend Client Kick-Off meetings and follow up calls.
• Review preliminary client route design and determine schedule/manage fielding.
• Oversee and perform OSP/ISP fiber designs including - fiber allocations and route assessment; fiber cable placement on poles and in splice points; and placement of ONU’s conduit, pedestals and splices.
• Create all necessary splicing prints and allocation assignments.
• Assure designs meet client design guidelines.
• Provide design guidance and direct to team.
• Capable using 3-GIS and other design support tools.
• Develop cost estimate models within excel analytically from preliminary design data.
• Consult with and advise the Engineering Manager and design staff regarding any questions raised in connection with the work.
• Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular update of such to the project team.
• Design formulation/Design Quality Audit
• Staff training, assignment and scheduling
• Design review and quality assurance
• Local client interface
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Motivated self-starter with a passion and drive to start and complete projects.
• Typically, a minimum of 5+ years related work experience with OSP Fiber Design and/or Construction.
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities. Industry recognized credentials preferred as needed.
• A deep understanding outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure, engineering design and construction focused on OSP fiber design.
• Candidates will be experienced in OSP design of fiber optic facilities, in aerial, underground, and buried applications.
• Experience in managing design teams and field technician’s a plus.
• Experience interpreting client request and auditing projects for compliance with scopes of work and quality.
• Knowledge/experience with project management tools.
• Design experience with MicroStation, Arc GIS, 3-GIS or other design software.
• Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills. Flexible and able to think quickly working to resolve design issues and makes decisions.
• Excellent communications skills, strong organizational skills, a high level of integrity, a strong team player, and attention to details are all critical traits of successful B&V Engineers.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Written Communications
• Drive For Results
• Decision Quality
• Priority Setting
• Directing Others
• Conflict Management
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Customer Focus
• Building Effective Teams
• Supervisor Competencies
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.