Black & Veatch Civil/Structural Superintendent in Carlstadt, New Jersey
BVCI, a proud part of the BV family of companies, offers union shop construction services for on-time, on-budget project delivery.
Our professionals deliver solid dependable solutions for industrial construction projects of all sizes, enabling us to provide leading construction services for our clients. Together, we have an integrated approach to project execution with an emphasis on safety, quality, cost, and schedule.
We work with our clients on EPC as well as construction-only projects. We self-perform projects by executing direct hire labor as well as utilizing subcontractor elements.
We continue to expand our services offered and build our project backlog.
Now is the time to work at BVCI!
This Superintendent professionals interfaces with and monitors supervision and craft employees and/or major subcontractor supervision and construction engineering, direct hire craft productivity and performance and/or reporting on subcontractors performance. He or she ensures adherence by all discipline craft and subcontractors to safety, quality, schedule and performance expectations as defined by BVCI, provides craft supervisors with information and technical direction required to complete project safely, timely, and in a quality manner, ensures schedule and project expectations are clearly defined to craft supervision and subcontractors, ensures schedule requirements are communicated to all levels of craft discipline as well as coordinates technical interpretation of technical requirements. This professional also provides technical data and information as required to direct hire workforce, subcontractor supervision or the construction engineers along with ensuring compliance by workforce or subcontractor to all standards, procedures, and contractual commitments within the bounds of all applicable policies.
This Superintendent is also responsible for ensuring that daily project execution is in line with BVCI’s National Maintenance and Project Labor Union Agreements as well as responsible for understanding all Local Union agreements for the project and for establishing a working relationship with the Local Union BA and the Local Union Site Job Steward and is responsible for ensuring uninterrupted workflow at union interface points.
The first assignment is a construction management LNG project in New Jersey, right outside of NYC.
*This professional may have his/her home base anywhere within the U.S. due to being a Field position with high travel/mobilization requirements. This means that this professional will spend the majority of work time at the assigned project location for the duration of the project requiring long-term temporary living close to the project site.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Monitors, verifies and reports on construction activities for compliance with the CPM schedule; tracks and reports on completion of project schedule activities and commodity installation.
• Assists craft/subcontractors in resolving problems and reports on issues related to drawings and information, schedule, quality, quantity tracking, cost reporting, and safety.
• Monitors discipline construction productivity, progress, and cost, and reports to Construction Manager and Field Project Controls Manager. Takes necessary actions to maintain targets.
• Conducts foreman/subcontractor meetings to review/assist in daily, weekly, and monthly planning.
• Develops and monitors 3 Week Look Ahead Schedule for assigned work scope.
• Develops corrective plan to ensure progress and productivity targets are met.
• Verifies that all material manpower and other resources needed to support the 3 Week Look Ahead Schedule are available and on site.
• Develops, monitors, and reports on completion of craft/subcontractor punch list activities.
• Maintains a daily log for site records.
• Reviews all craft/subcontractor timesheets, installed quantity reports, and progress payment requests.
• Monitors supplier Technical Service Representative (supplier) daily log and reviews/approves their timesheets.
• Communicates and coordinates assigned craft/subcontractor(s) daily and weekly work plans with other discipline Superintendents/Facilitators and Construction Manager.
• Monitors assigned subcontractor(s) for compliance with subcontract scope and schedule requirements.
• Develops a stable working relationship with assigned subcontractor(s).
• Assists Field Subcontract Administrator in the preparation of all extra work authorization requests (RFMPs/WAs).
• Assists the Construction Engineer in compilation of or answering Contractor Information Requests. Responsible for compiling and answering CIRs if required.
• Administers the execution of work packages and equipment installation.
• Develops and distributes a Job Hazard Analysis for major erection packages within scope.
• Identifies potential back charges and out of scope issues and reports to Construction Manager. Supports commercial recovery process.
• Provides supervision, training, development, and performance management to direct reports.
• Adheres to safety and quality standards as applicable to duties and accountabilities.
• Supports continuous improvement efforts and the change management effects associated with the implementation of improvements.
* This position is not available for visa sponsorship
* This professional may have his/her home base anywhere within the U.S. due to being a Field position with high travel/mobilization requirements. This means that this professional will spend the majority of work time at the assigned project location for the duration of the project requiring long-term temporary living close to the project site.
• 5+ years experience as Superintendent on equivalent projects
• All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Engineering or Construction Management degree preferred
• 5+ years’ experience on large power plant/combined cycle construction projects
• Extensive Scaffolding Experience
• Union Apprenticeship Program Completed
• Current union member
• Majority of experience on union construction projects leading direct hired craft
• Budget and Cost Control Skills
• Industrial relations knowledge for recognizing and resolving potential labor issues
• Knowledge of Company construction guides and manuals.
• Construction safety awareness and comprehension
• Conflict Management Skills
• Multi-tasking Ability (prioritize, organize, schedule work)
• Problem-solving Skills (identify, analyze, research, evaluate, resolve)
• Project Management Skills
• Supervisory Skills
• Communication Skills
• Constructability Knowledge within discipline
• Constructability Knowledge within other disciplines
• Conceptual Planning Ability
• Legal Contract understanding (EPC / Subcontracts )
• Leadership Ability
• Human Relations Skills
• Risk Assessment/Management
• Cost Code labor production Systems
• Time Reporting Policies and Procedures
• Construction Guides and Standards
• Computer Skills
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.