Black & Veatch OSP/ISP Field CRO Engineering Specialist 2 in United States
OSP/ISP Field CRO Engineering Specialist 2
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Contract-to-Hire position will be based in the Lexington, KY office, although requires frequent travel across the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Functions in a field engineering capacity, performing field ride out, data collection, and engineering for the design of aerial fiber optic facilities and building entry fiber throughout the state of Kentucky. Field work includes assessing fiber route viability, collecting information from utility poles, meeting with building managers to perform building entry and ISP design walks, and conducting field meetings with utilities to work through design issues. Office work includes communicating with fiber designers to determine work priorities, reviewing completed ISP fiber design drawings, addressing questions from team members, and various administrative tasks related to the position. This position is approximately 80% field work and 20% office work. Occasional overnight travel within the state is expected.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This job will be based in Lexington, KY and entails field work around the Commonwealth of Kentucky to take pictures, measurements, document existing facilities, and obtain design information in preparation for OSP network design.
• Engineering Standards: Continues to learn and remains current on departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies and procedures. Applies to assigned tasks as appropriate.
• Quality/Continuous Improvement: Continues developing knowledge and complies with B&V quality program relative to assigned tasks. Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
• Engineering Production: Prepares and verifies less complex engineering deliverables. Performs research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection. Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work. Prepares engineering calculations following standard methods and principles. Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements.
• Project Coordination: Seeks out supervisor or project leadership to share information and gain guidance with respect to details of design and interdisciplinary coordination. Coordinates with others as assigned by supervisor or project leadership.
• Client Focus: Focuses on the needs of internal clients (project team leadership) while attempting to gain basic understanding of external client's main interests and drivers. May provide support to business development or pursuit activities.
• Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Shares current knowledge of latest technology and processes.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Typically a minimum of 1 year related work experience; prefer 3+ years relevant OSP/Fiber Field/Site Walk experience.
• Bachelor's degree in engineering technology or sciences preferred or any other degree, specialized training, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
• OSP design or construction, OR experience working with telecom or power utilities is a plus.
• Commercial building design or construction work is also a plus.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Learning on the Fly
• Problem Solving
• Independent Decision Maker
• Intellectual Horsepower
• Excellent Written Communications
• Client Interaction Skills
• Drive For Results
• Decision Quality
• Dealing with Ambiguity
Preferred Technical Competencies:
• Ability to operate computer, tablet, and other technology used for fiber design
• Basic knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline
• Basic ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned
• Basic industry knowledge and technology trends
• Basic knowledge of company quality program
• Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.