Black & Veatch Project Field Manager – Transmission/Substation in US, United States
Project Field Manager – Transmission/Substation
Business Line:Corporate Const/Procurement
BVCI Head Project Field Managers are responsible for successful execution of the construction and start-up of the project. These construction leaders provide leadership to the project staff and all organizations on site and direct staff in the daily/weekly planning process as well as functions as a representative for BVCI in all interactions involving the Owner and Contract. This Project Field Manager implements BVCI standards and procedures, develops project specific procedures and allocates resources, and makes decisions in support of project strategies.
This professional may have his/her home base anywhere within the U.S. due to being a Field position with high travel/mobilization requirements. This means that this professional will spend the majority of work time at the assigned project location for the duration of the project requiring long-term temporary living close to the project site.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for updating and completing the Construction Execution Plan.
• Reviews and refines the plan as the project progresses.
• Directs overall construction effort including coordination of site activities, suppliers, direct hire craft labor, subcontractors, startup and testing activities, and the owner.
• Directs implementation of the processes and procedures manual and insures requests for deviations are submitted when necessary.
• Manages overall construction and startup cost to meet established budgets.
• Reviews, analyzes, and reports monthly on project construction budget, schedule, and quality performance and takes appropriate action to return the project to plan.
• Directs implementation of established project controls processes and procedures including Installation Work Packaging (IWP) through Package Manager software tool.
• Coordinates with leadership to negotiate and implement appropriate labor agreements.
• Establishes and maintains relationships and develops a high level of trust and credibility with clients, owners, alliance partners, craft labor, subcontractors, and suppliers.
• Leads the site management team.
• Directs implementation of project construction Safety & Health and Loss Control procedures and is responsible for ensuring that the project meets the agreed safety targets.
• Directs implementation of project quality assurance procedures and is responsible for ensuring that the established level of quality is achieved.
• Directs implementation of project commissioning and testing plan and is responsible for ensuring that the necessary resources are provided to commissioning.
• Directs implementation of project field materials management procedures.
• Approves field purchases, equipment rentals, extra work authorizations, subcontractor progress and final payments, BVCI professional time sheets and expense reimbursements.
• Directs change order management for subcontracts.
• Coordinates with project manager to identify and execute change orders to contract with owner.
• Directs the resolution of all back charges, collection of conformed to construction records, and other contract closeout activities.
• Establishes project field staffing needs and coordinates with Project Manager and construction department to staff project field office.
• Mentors project field staff, promotes internal and external team building, and maintains morale.
• Adheres to Safety, Quality, Ethical Standards, Lessons Learned, and Performance Management programs in accordance with BVCI Policies, Standards, Guides, and Contractual commitments.
• Is responsible for producing and implementing site specific procedures as required. Identifies and assesses improvement opportunities which will add value.
• Champions implementation of LEAN concepts and continuous improvement efforts.
• Assesses and supports the change management effects associated with the implementation of improvements.
• Proactively supports, encourages and facilitates staff to engage in continuous improvement activities.
• Acts as project manager with responsibilities for the management of a multi discipline project team.
* This position is not available for visa sponsorship
* This professional may have his/her home base anywhere within the U.S. due to being a Field position with high travel/mobilization requirements. This means that this professional will spend the majority of work time at the assigned project location for the duration of the project requiring long-term temporary living close to the project site.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Degreed: Bachelor’s Degree with 15+ years experience on similar projects in construction management role. Non-Degreed: 20+ years experience with 5 years at a Construction Manager level on complex projects.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Union Apprenticeship Program Completed
• Extensive Transmission and/or Substation construction experience
• Able to deliver Project Gross Margin (PGM) on assigned project
• Knowledge of Power Delivery construction technology (
• Knowledge of EPC Industry
• Company practices, process, and related impact on project activities.
• Administrative policies and procedures
• Time reporting policies and procedures
• Expense reporting policies and procedures
• Project budgeting process and tools
• Approach to managing construction operations.
• Project controls policies and procedures
• Risk assessment policies and procedures
• Legal/contractual agreements (EPC/suppliers/subcontractors)
• Construction Project Management Systems
• Communication and interpersonal skills.
• Conceptual planning ability
• Problem solving skills (identify, analyze, research, evaluate, resolve)
• Project management skills.
• Conflict management skills
• Multi-tasking ability (prioritize, organize, schedule work)
• Supervisory skills
• Organizational skills
• Leadership ability (team building, coaching, mentoring, change management, advising)
• Presentation skills
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.