Black & Veatch Structural Engineer 3 - Power Delivery in Raleigh, North Carolina
Structural Engineer 3 - Power Delivery
The Power Delivery Structural Engineer 3 will be responsible for performing the structural design and analysis of substation structures and associated foundations. The role will require direct contact with clients, project managers and other discipline engineers. Power Delivery often supports other power disciplines (Renewables, Generation, etc.) on project designs and construction. Communication between departments and other offices is critical to the success of these projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for identifying applicable codes (ASCE, NESC, IBC, etc.) and incorporating client/B&V standards to determine load criteria. These loads will then be applied to the structures and analyzed to determine structural adequacy. Typical structures include standard AISC shapes, tapered tubular poles and lattice box trusses comprised of steel and aluminum.
• Understanding of soil mechanics and geotechnical data is required for determining the optimal foundation systems to support these structures. Typical designs include slab on grade, grade beams, shallow spread-footers, drilled piers and pile supported foundations. Other structures often designed include oil containment systems, retaining walls and buildings. Opportunities to assist in the design of land development, grading, erosion & sediment control and stormwater management are available if the professional has interests.
• Function well in a fast paced environment and be capable of supporting multiple projects and clients simultaneously.
• Act as the discipline lead on projects and assign roles and delegate responsibilities to both engineers and technicians.
• Perform thorough reviews of the calculations and drawings produced to ensure quality and compliance of the design submittals.
• Attend onsite meetings as required by the scope of work (minimal travel is anticipated).
• Able to work well in a team environment.
• Provide technical guidance as necessary as the Power Delivery Civil/Structural group actively supports each other.
• Support proposals on both EPC and services only projects.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 3 years related work experience All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Proficient in engineering theories and principles.
• Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strongly prefer candidates who have successfully passed the EIT exam.
• Proficiency with software including: PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, PLS-Tower, RISA-3D, FAD and/or LPILE.
• Possess the ability to learn on the fly, problem solve, deal with ambiguity and have a strong drive for results.
• Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guidelines.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.