Black & Veatch Sr. Construction Claims Manager in Overland Park, Kansas
Sr. Construction Claims Manager
At Black & Veatch, you can work on projects of complex size and scope across a full spectrum of construction services within the worldwide energy, water, telecommunications and federal markets. We are a global construction company with both union and merit shop capabilities, and a procurement team experienced in reducing purchasing costs, mitigating risks and maximizing scheduled.
If you're ready for the excitement of working with state-of-the-art technologies, advanced project management tools and industry-leading safety programs, this is where you want to be.
Provide contract claims support for large industrial engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) projects. Leads any form of project, including but not limited to non-typical international work.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops and implements corporate claim management processes and procedures, as necessitated.
• Manages contract claims and risk issues related to prime agreements and/or major subcontract agreements.
• Facilitates swift claims resolution with clients and subcontractors.
• Manages claims with clients by preparing proper notices for project management.
• Defines claims process and procedures on projects through the project instructions manual.
• May assist projects during the negotiation stage of the prime agreement and provides advice on claims avoidance.
• Reviews larger equipment and subcontractor agreements on projects prior to commitment and provides advice on potential claim issues.
• Manages project specific claims letter templates.
• Provides input to corporate claim letter templates.
• Conducts necessary research and acquires supporting documentation to substantiate claims to clients or major subcontractors.
• Assesses prime agreement risk profile and communicating to the project team at project inception. This includes, but is not limited to, notice requirements, statutory requirements, project specific definitions such as Force Majeure and dispute resolution.
• Develops a project specific claims summary report during project closeout to support lessons learned and continuous improvement.
• Functions as a consultant to advising on claims and disputes with subcontractors.
• Updates and reports progress on claims electronically in a corporate database.
• Trains, develops and mentors others on their duties and accountabilities. Occasional training of other functional roles on claims management.
• Acts in capacity of a “lead person,” however does not have management responsibility for the people to whom they provide work direction. Those individuals could include: Contract Controls Specialists, Senior Contract Controls Specialist, and Contract Controls Managers
Ten (10) or more years relevant experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Prefer 12+ years relevant experience on large EPC projects and contract administration.
• Advanced legal/contractual agreements (clients/suppliers/subcontractors) and risk management expertise encompassing all aspects of the EPC process
• Demonstrates expert contract claims experience with large EPC projects
• Knowledgeable of project controls including CPM scheduling and cost engineering concepts
• Excellent communicator to include presentation skills and proven effective writing skills
• Advanced knowledge of EPC Industry
• Proficient computer skills
• Proven expertise at problem solving (identify, analyze, research, evaluate, and resolve)
• Ability to work independently
• Supervisory competencies
• Results orientated
• Interpersonal and team working skills
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.