Black & Veatch Senior Subcontracts Manager in Overland Park, Kansas
Senior Subcontracts Manager
Oversees and performs assigned subcontract activities for a major proposal / project, which may include international efforts. May independently lead others with procurement responsibilities and/or Procurement Department initiatives. Will generally support required duties within the Procurement Department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for the management of complex subcontracts to support the proposal and project execution for engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) power generation projects. Includes but not limited to managing, identifying and tracking subcontracts to guarantee cost competitive solutions while providing administrative and operational oversight of assigned subcontracts.
This is a supervisory level, office based position in Overland Park, KS with approximately 10% travel.
• Lead the subcontracting team while providing ownership, strategy and process management
• Manage personnel and provide an environment for the development and professional advancement of staff members, including on-the-job and formal training and development opportunities, and performance feedback
• Train others within the proposal and project teams on subcontract principles and best management practices.
• Ensure all subcontracts are performed within the guidelines of the proposal or project strategies and any changes are managed consistently and efficiently
• Experience with administering the Request for Proposal (RFP) and bid tabulation processes
• Interface with Project Management, Engineering, Construction and Estimating to develop subcontractor strategies to best support proposal and projects
• Lead complex negotiations and provide contractual guidance to the proposal and project teams
• Analyze situations, identify and forecast pertinent problems and evaluate realistic options with recommendations to implement appropriate course of action
• Ability to accurately formulate multiple compensation structures including lump sum, unit price and reimbursable cost.
• Tracks lessons learned and implements as applicable for subsequent proposal and projects.
• Organize and prioritize a variety of complex projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines
• Facilitate smooth transition from project award to execution with the support of the proposal and project teams
• Maintain appropriate logs, records, and other documentation.
• Provide input to policy and procedure review and development processes
Fifteen (15) years of relevant experience in Subcontracts, Construction Project Management, Procurement or proven ability to perform at the capacity identified herein. Requires field experience as a subcontracts manager, superintendent, foreman or related position. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Proven power industry experience and broad understanding of construction and subcontract language associated engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) projects
• Past power plant experience on Coal , Combined Cycle, Simple Cycle projects
• Site execution experience and related technical knowledge necessary to manage the works
• Significant experience working with complex multiple multi-million dollar subcontracts
• Experience with the following responsibilities:
o Subcontractor Strategic Planning & Relationship Development
o Request for Proposal process
o Negotiation skill set
o Bill of Quantity management
o Claims management
o Risk analysis
• BA or BS degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Purchasing, Business, Technical related field.
• Relevant field experience may be substituted for a degree
• Strong Analytics - Creation and Interpretation
• Advanced Attention to Detail
• Advanced Communication - Written and Oral
• Advanced Computer - Database and MS Office
• Advanced Contract Comprehension
• Advanced Organization Skill
• Strong Analytics - Creation and Interpretation
• Strong Problem Solving
• Strong Project Process Management
• Strong Schedule and Planning Understanding
• Proficient Training Development
• Proficient Mathematics
• Builds effective teams
• Ensures accountability
• Instills trust
• Manages ambiguity
• Manages complexity
• Plans and aligns
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.