Black & Veatch Right of Way Manager in Overland Park, Kansas
Right of Way Manager
The Telecommunications Division delivers telecommunication infrastructure solutions to utilities, local and state government agencies and the commercial wireless industry. Through a unique combination of experience, expert resources and innovative solutions, Black & Veatch supports the entire range of both legacy and emerging technologies used in today’s wireless and wireline networks, voice, video, Internet and data systems and utility automation.
Manage and supervise internal ROW agents and outside vendors and agents, and identify 3rd party labor needs relative to time constraints of projects. Implements Right of Way (ROW) processes for complex aerial or underground projects. Processes include cursory title, survey permission and easement negotiations. Ensure compliance to the quality and safety goals and objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage and supervise internal ROW agents and outside vendors and agents, and identify 3rd party labor needs relative to time constraints of projects
• Implements Right of Way (ROW) processes for client facilities which may include fiber, utility, energy, pipeline and utility pole attachment (aerial or underground) projects.
• Trains internal ROW agents on proper processes and procedures for acquiring ROW and easements for client facilities.
• Identifies land ownership from both client and public records.
• Supports the bidding and Request for Proposal responses, including participating in client presentations, by providing subject matter expertise on ROW processes.
• Researches, reviews, and analyzes land titles; identifies defects and outlines curative measures, along with preparing the necessary documents required for curative actions.
• Reviews engineering drawings and identify risks related to right of way;
• Prepare and deliver a mitigation plan, assess problematic owners develop plans for overcoming obstacles and diversions.
• Negotiates the acquisition of right of way and other property interests, as necessary to accommodate the construction, operation, and maintenance of client facilities .
• Ensures that construction crews and other professionals have unobstructed access and work with property owners to resolve any construction issues that may arise.
• Prepares and negotiates property damage settlements and loss claims including damages to crops, timber and structures if necessary.
• Assists with right of way related cost estimates associated with land and easement acquisitions,
• Secures civil permits necessary for the construction and maintenance of client facilities.
• Reviews, prepares, analyzes and interprets all land and right of way related agreements, deeds, easements, leases, permits and licenses.
• Serves as liaison between internal departments, cities, counties, etc., in support of land services.
• Resolves encroachments, damage claims, landowner complaints and inquiries at a minimal cost to client. Ability to enforce previously acquired rights to minimize cost to clients for encroachment removal & prevention.
Requires 4 year degree, or equivalent work experience. Requires 7 years telecommunications industry experience; 3 years site acquisition and land use experience; 2 years supervisory and/or vendor management experience; real estate, sales, or legal negotiation experience (required). All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Highly prefer candidate with Transmission Line ROW Acquisition experience. • Thorough knowledge of all aspects of right-of-way, including negotiations, acquisition, title, permitting, budgeting, cost forecasting, operation, due diligence, public relations, community outreach and solid understanding of general regulatory and legal issues.
• Experience with fiber installations, pole attachment agreements, ROW permits, pipeline system objectives and construction techniques.
• Experience in negotiating Franchise Agreements preferred.
• Maintains a high degree of customer service and integrity when dealing with clients
• Knowledge of FERC permitting process, including landowner communications & notification process.
• Ability to work independently as well as with others
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Real estate, sales, or legal negotiation experience strongly desired
• Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively
• Ability to read and comprehend legal documents such as legal descriptions, surveys, ground leases, easements, deeds, land purchase contracts, mortgages, title policies, subordination, and engineering drawings
• Proficiency with GIS mapping programs and alignment sheets
• Proficiency with various databases
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
• Adheres to, supports and enhances the Divisions Environmental, Safety, Health and Security Program and enhances the Divisions Quality Management System.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.