Black & Veatch Managing Director of Construction, Special Projects in Overland Park, Kansas
Managing Director of Construction, Special Projects
Business Line:Govt Federal SE
Position will have a dual role. It initially requires embedment into Special Projects business line (BU) that perform EPC/DB and Program Management contract scopes. The initial purpose of the position requires integrating risk awareness, assessment, management and implementation of EPC/DB contracting into the proposal screening, negotiations and project execution process pending award of new EPC/DB projects. Additionally this position will enhance the project specific execution capabilities of the Special Projects Business Line at a Managing Director of Construction level. This position will require the ability to self-direct and manage large EPC/DB projects or a portfolio of EPC/DB projects.
This will be a top line level position for the purpose of more uniformly addressing the processes and procedures for acquiring and executing EPC/DB scopes of work. While each BU (Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Federal contracting) performs contracts for different markets, technologies and clients, the fundamental EPC/DB requirements for recognizing and operating in this environment remain the same and are defined in a Company level EPC/DB Project Execution Manual.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The company assignment includes developing, leading and integrating into the Special Projects (SPC) Business Line a more uniform set of requirements for EPC work scopes, consistent with company level guidelines (particularly as they relate to risk identification, assessment and implementation) and Special Projects best practices. The assignment will require modification and adaptation of Special Projects processes and procedures to internal company/ Special Projects practices regardless of origin.
A specific project assignment will include directing mid-to-large size EPC projects that may include stand-alone prime, joint venture, or consortia organizational structure.
Position requirements include advanced capability in managing, leading and integrating large teams and sub-groups. The role requires integration and modification of behaviors, systems and processes tailored to EPC/DB assessment, contracting and execution (proposal through completion phases of an EPC/DB life cycle). Duties will include coaching, mentoring and internal change management in the assigned BU and/or project.
• Project delivery for all EPC/CM contracts
• Support farming IDV contracts
• Support sales for house accounts
• Coordination with BD for development of new contract sales and backlog growth
• Construction Strategy
• Preconstruction services
• Subcontract Administration
• Construction Operations
• Construction supervision & leadership talent resources
• Craft resources and management
• Commercial construction/ facilities leadership experience
BU Leader’s Core Functional Responsibility:
• Responsible to the SPC Board and Group President for performance of the Business
• Creating, communicating and implementing the organization's vision, mission, and overall direction
• Formulating and implementing the strategic plan that guides the direction of the Business
• Forming, staffing, guiding, leading and managing an organization sufficient to accomplish the President's responsibilities and the strategic plan of the business
• Maintaining awareness of both the external and internal competitive landscape, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, new industry developments and standards, and other influencers
• Represents the Business in civic and professional association responsibilities and activities in the local community, the state, and at the national level
Prefer Bachelor Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Construction Management, Procurement, or Project Controls.
• 20 years direct experience in EPC/DB execution at various levels with at least 5 years and/or 2 projects at the PM level. Emphasis will be on experience with direct, hands-on EPC/DB assignments and identification of work the applicant is competent to self-perform.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Advanced EPC/DB PM knowledge at a functional level.
• Advanced knowledge and application of EPC/DB PM processes.
• Advanced knowledge and application of financial management in EPC/DB environments.
• Advanced knowledge and application of commercial requirements of EPC/DB contracting.
• Demonstrated ability to identify, assess, negotiate and implement impacts to contracted scopes of work.
• Strong leadership capabilities and generally good to excellent “people skills” which would include the following competencies:
o Conflict Management
o Customer Focus
o Directing Others
o Motivating Others
o Priority Setting
o Process Management
o Timely Decision Making
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.