Black & Veatch Assistant Subcontracts Manager in Overland Park, Kansas
Assistant Subcontracts Manager
Responsible for the management of subcontracts to support proposals and project execution for engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) projects under supervision of a lead Subcontracts Manager. Includes but not limited to identifying potential bidders, managing request for proposal process and tracking subcontracts to guarantee cost competitive solutions.
This is an office based position in Overland Park, KS with approximately 10% travel.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Common Purpose
This position key focus is on understanding needs and requirements for the Request for Proposal process while supporting those needs through creative engineering, procurement and construction solutions with the most cost-effective strategies. The candidate will work in close partnership with the Project Manager, Engineering Manager, Construction Operations Manager and supporting teams to develop winning proposals that demonstrate superior value to our Clients as well as creating value for Black & Veatch stakeholders.
• Entrepreneurship - Innovator
This position will allow the ideal candidate to develop, discover and lead innovative Subcontract processes and system improvements that can be institutionalized to benefit the company well into the future.
• Respect - Selfless
Construction can only be successful through a team effort. Proposals and Projects are schedule driven, and often challenging to accomplish and all team members must have the poise and patience to work collaboratively with others even under strict deadlines.
• Accountable - Shared Ownership
Construction is at the core of Black & Veatch’s ability to win new business. The Construction team is accountable not only for submitting a high-quality, winning proposal, but for laying groundwork in the response that allows for successful project execution (e.g., appropriate estimating, pricing, cash flow, value contribution, schedule, etc.).
The ideal candidate should never lose sight of Black & Veatch expectations for integrity when attempting to craft the most cost competitive solutions. No proposal or project is worth compromising the company’s reputation, and no steps will be taken to mislead the client or to offer anything other than a fair and valid priced project solution. “Win their trust. Win the work.”
A key to success in this role will be to establish best practices and cost competitive strategies for the long-term benefit of Black & Veatch. The candidate will focus on ensuring that commercial tools and solutions are both sound and sustainable into the future.
• Leads assigned construction and services contracts for proposals and projects following established policies and procedures.
• Executes and manages the subcontracts process on assigned subcontracts including bid list development, solicitation of quotes, recommendations, negotiations and award.
• Coordinates with engineering, estimating, construction, project controls and project management to support development of scoping documents, drawings, estimate quantities, indirect cost structure and site specific construction requirements.
• Participates with Project Management, Engineering, Construction and Estimating to develop subcontractor strategies to best support proposal and projects
• Leads negotiations for assigned construction related subcontracts.
• Collaborates to resolve complex claims or other contract issues.
• Supports the handover of i) the estimating effort to the project execution team and/or ii) awarded subcontracts to the appropriate field staff.
• Maintains appropriate logs, records, and files appropriate documents while following filing rules.
• Tracks lessons learned and implements as applicable for subsequent proposal and projects.
• Provides input to policy and procedure review and development processes
Minimum of seven (7) years relevant experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Previous Oil & Gas or related industry experience with understanding of construction means-methods associated engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) projects
• Construction field experience working with civil, structural, mechanical and/or electrical subcontractors
• Estimating experience working in civil, structural, mechanical and/or electrical disciplines on Oil & Gas or industry related proposals or projects
• Ability to maintain organization in a fast paced and changing environment
• Self-motivated but able to successfully work in a team environment for the overall task
• Proactive, flexible and responsible for job duties
• Exhibits initiative, responsibility and flexibility
• Negotiates internal issues, priorities and deadlines
• BS degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business or Technical related field.
• Relevant field experience may be substituted for a degree
• Proficient Analytics - Creation and Interpretation
• Strong Attention to Detail
• Proficient Budget Development and Management
• Strong Communication - Written and Oral
• Strong Computer - Database and MS Office
• Strong Contract Comprehension
• Strong Organization Skill
• Strong Analytics - Creation and Interpretation
• Excellent Problem Solving
• Excellent Presentation Skills
• Project Process Management
• Proficient Schedule and Planning Understanding
• Basic Training Development
• Ensures accountability
• Decision Quality
• Manages ambiguity
• Manages complexity
• Plans and aligns
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.