Black & Veatch Project Manager 2 - Services in Edmonton, Canada
Project Manager 2 - Services
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
• Directs engineering projects from home office location, with the support of US based offices and global resources as required.
• Works with multiple clients for specific project objectives with pro-active Client Management.
• Creates opportunities for new/repeat business; supports contract negotiations and manages client relationships.
• Manages varied lump sum and reimbursable cost project models.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage low to intermediate risk services and expanded scope projects.
• Holds safety as the highest priority in our workplace.
• Construction-oriented Project Manager who has a solid track record of directing engineering to drive successful projects.
• Broad experience in heavy industrial projects including power.
• Experienced in promoting Lean Construction techniques and early stage Constructability planning.
• Individual must exhibit high level of learning Black & Veatch's processes and adapting his/her experience accordingly on a relatively fast track.
• Has worked in an engineering environment; fully versed in engineering and procurement work processes and quality requirements.
• Has proven experience leading engineering design teams.
• Understands interdependency of all engineering disciplines (Civil/Structural, Architectural, Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, and Controls) and the flow of information between them.
• Capable of flowing down commercial requirements, partner requirements, and owner requirements to the technical personnel in clear and complete communication.
• Has worked in joint ventures or partnerships that augmented the project delivery capabilities of both.
• Managed varied normal risk which includes fixed price or new technology or new clients.
• Knowledge and application of PM processes, Financial Management, Risk Management, and awareness of primary Commercial Terms in prime contracts, vendor contracts, and construction subcontracts.
• Capable of negotiating contract changes.
• Seller/Doer responsibility with the goal of winning and managing multiple small to medium sized Services projects primarily based on repeat business.
• Instill and foster a culture of Seller/Doer with subordinate/peer staff.
• Ability to function as a Project Manager and as an Operations Leader in a small office.
• Coordinates well with operations managers in other offices and supports them. Guides and mentors engineers of several disciplines and assists with goal setting and annual feedback processes.
• Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
• Advanced at leading teams and is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
• Clearly and comfortably delegates both routine and important tasks and decisions; broadly shares both responsibility and accountability; tends to trust people to perform; lets direct reports and others finish their own work.
• Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
• Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise."
• Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.
• Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision.
• Specialized skill at leading moderate sized teams.
Bachelor of science degree.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Supervisory experience of entire EPCM Project Personnel, including the planning of delegation, adaptation of project controls to suit specific project needs, P&L responsibility of projects, and successful turnover of completed projects to clients.
• Minimum of fifteen plus years' experience.
• Canadian Project Experience.
• Experience managing projects with engineering, procurement and construction scope.
• Knowledge of construction practices and principles to support constructability in design work product.
• Ability to work in a process driven organization.
• In-depth knowledge of procurement and contract administration.
• Ability to travel globally.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.