Black & Veatch Lead Electrical Engineer 6 - Power Generation in Edmonton, Canada
Lead Electrical Engineer 6 - Power Generation
Black & Veatch provides engineering, technology, consulting, and construction solutions that span the life cycle of projects in the power generation, power delivery and hydrocarbon process industries. Our services encompass planning, design, procurement, construction, startup, optimization and maintenance.
• Functions in a lead and/or supervisory role on engineering projects and proposals.
• Responsible for power plant electrical system design.
• Advanced knowledge within Auxiliary Power Systems or Instrument & Control Systems is required, with working knowledge of all Electrical and Control systems also required.
• In addition to lead technical role, be able to effectively liaise with clients of operating plants about future plant study or design prospects and convert prospects into project proposals.
• Provide engineering related design, analysis, and studies for domestic or international power plant projects.
• Independently develops and applies advanced engineering techniques, concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems.
• May supervise engineering staff on projects of medium to high complexity, or serve as a technical specialist providing knowledge and expertise.
• May be responsible for developing, validating, and presenting specialist/technical output.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop, plan, coordinate and direct the electrical engineering work for a major project, a portion of a major project, or several smaller but complex projects.
• This includes work assignments, staffing, scheduling and review.
• It also includes coordination with professionals in other B&V offices given the availability of resources and where the desired expertise resides.
• Develop or evaluate plans/criteria or special analyses required in support of the electrical engineering effort.
• Coordinate the design of assigned systems or projects with involved B&V personnel and client management.
• Maintain electrical engineering records, lists and reports as required to ensure compliance with the client's schedule, adherence to the budget, adherence to procurement specification, or to ensure electrical engineering problems are monitored and resolved.
• Develop and deliver performance evaluations for assigned staff.
• Additional responsibilities may be given over time to supervise and manage a multi-discipline work group.
• This would include coordinating work assignments, staffing, performance evaluations, and other management functions.
• Responsible for determining identification of key client interests and drivers on projects.
• Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on moderately complex projects.
• Focuses on client's current needs and situations.
• Actively develop client relationships and identify additional and future work opportunities.
• May offer other B&V services to the client.
• Provides support to business development or pursuit activities.
Quality / Continuous Improvement:
• Independently applies knowledge and ensures compliance with B&V quality program.
• Establishes related processes and promotes a culture that is conducive to quality.
• Provides guidance and direction to others.
• Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 11 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Minimum of 11 years project experience in Electrical Engineering within the Energy market sector, with at least 6 years specifically in power generation engineering including the preparation of system descriptions, One-lines, control schematics, and technical specifications for purchasing power plant equipment.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
• Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with APEGA.
• Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook experience required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
• Must be willing to participate in construction jobsite engineering activities.
• Must be willing to travel as necessary, including periodic one or two week long trips to B&V offices in the United States.
• Advanced knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline.
• Advanced knowledge of other disciplines.
• Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
• Intermediate industry knowledge and technology trends.
• Intermediate knowledge of company quality program.
• Intermediate knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles.
• Intermediate knowledge of procurement & contract administration.
• Working knowledge of process, procedures for project controls and estimating and Supervisor Competencies.
• Written Communications.
• Drive for Results.
• Decision Quality.
• Priority Setting.
• Directing Others.
• Conflict Management.
• Dealing with Ambiguity.
• Customer Focus.
• Building Effective Teams.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.