Black & Veatch Right of Way Permitting Agent in Columbus, Ohio
Right of Way Permitting Agent
Implements Right of Way (ROW) processes for fiber, utility, energy, pipeline and utility pole attachment (aerial or underground) projects. Prepares zoning and permitting applications. Monitors progress of the application and facilitates jurisdictional requests for additional information as a result of the application review process. Processes include cursory title, survey permission and easement negotiations. Responsibilities may also include the negotiation of the acquisition of right of way and other property interests, as necessary to accommodate the construction, operation, and maintenance of client facilities. Ensure compliance to the quality and safety goals and objectives.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identifies land ownership from both client and public records.
• Researches, reviews, and analyzes land titles; identifies defects and outlines curative measures.
• Reviews engineering drawings and identify risks related to right of way and provide suggestions for minimizing risks and unnecessary owner involvement.
• Negotiates the acquisition of right of way and other property interests, as necessary to accommodate the construction, operation, and maintenance of client facilities, as scope of work requires.
• Demonstrate ability to maintain professionalism while dealing with difficult negotiations with property owners.
• Negotiates property damage settlements and loss claims associated with capital projects and day-to-day pipeline operations necessary to maintain client facilities, as scope of work requires.
• Assists in preparation of right of way related cost estimates associated with land and easement acquisitions. This includes costs for permanent & temporary right of way as well as damages, as scope of work requires.
• Secures civil permits necessary for the construction and maintenance of client facilities.
• Reviews, prepares, analyzes, interprets all land and right of way related agreements, deeds, easements, leases, permits and licenses.
• Serves as liaison between internal departments, cities, counties, etc., in support of land services.
• Assists in resolution of encroachments, damage claims, landowner complaints and inquiries at a minimal cost to client.
• May serve as Lead ROW Agent for particular right of way projects
• Implements Right of Way processes for client fiber, utility and energy projects including cursory title, survey permission and easement negotiations.
• As required, assists the ROW Manager with management and supervision of outside vendors and agents, assist with review of expenses when necessary and provide feedback regarding 3rd party labor requirements
• As required, assists the ROW Manager in bidding and Request for Proposal responses including participating in client presentations.
Requires 4 year degree, or equivalent work experience. Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience, of which 2 years that include project experience working on Oil & Gas Pipelines, Electrical and other Utility projects. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Action Oriented
• Interpersonal Savvy
• Learning on the fly
• Problem Solving
• Priority Setting
• Knowledge of all aspects of right-of-way, including acquisition, title, permitting, budgeting, cost forecasting, operation, due diligence, public relations, community outreach and solid understanding of general regulatory and legal issues.
• An understanding of fiber, energy or utility system objectives and construction techniques. Ability to work independently as well as with others
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Real estate, sales, or legal negotiation experience strongly desired
• Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively
• Ability to read and comprehend legal documents such as legal descriptions, surveys, ground leases, easements, deeds, land purchase contracts, mortgages, title policies, subordination, and CAD drawings
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
• Adheres to, supports and enhances the Divisions Environmental, Safety, Health and Security Program and enhances the Divisions Quality Management System.
• Maintains a high degree of customer service and integrity when dealing with clients
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.