Black & Veatch Geotechnical Engineer 1 in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Geotechnical Engineer 1
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building Critical Human Infrastructure™ in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2013 were US $3.6 billion. Follow us on www.bv.com and in social media.
Functions in an engineer 1 capacity. Under close supervision, performs routine aspects of engineering assignments requiring knowledge and application of basic engineering principles. Applies knowledge of engineering principles to prescribed techniques and procedures to complete project assignments.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Engineering Standards: Develops familiarity by reading, understanding and applying departmental design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and B&V policies and procedures. Quality / Continuous Improvement: Develops an understanding and complies with the B&V quality program. Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts. Engineering Production: Contributes to preparation of less complex engineering deliverables such as drawings, reports, specifications, and studies of limited scope. Performs routine research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection. Collects, assimilates, and manages data for engineering work. Prepares basic engineering calculations following standard methods and principles used in similar engineering analysis. Understands and adheres to budget, schedule, and quality requirements. Project Coordination: Shares information with others as requested. Coordinates with others when directed by supervisor or project leadership. Client Focus: Focuses on the needs of internal clients (project team leadership) while attempting to gain basic understanding of external client's main interests and drivers. May provide support to business development or pursuit activities. Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology: Shares current knowledge of latest technology and processes.
Assignments are in conjunction with engineering, procurement, planning, designing, and construction of electrical generating power plants (Power Gen) and electrical transmission infrastructure (Power Delivery). Specifically, for this position the successful candidate will perform geotechnical engineering design activities primarily for electric power generating plants, substation and transmission line projects.
Responsibilities may include:
• Assist in developing subsurface investigation programs by preparing subsurface investigation specifications, selecting project soil boring locations, interfacing with drilling contractors, assigning laboratory testing based upon soil sample classification, and interpreting laboratory test results.
Onsite support of subsurface investigations by, logging boreholes and/or test pits when necessary.
• Preparing project field geotechnical investigation and design reports
• Preparing design calculations & sketches required to prepare construction documents for geotechnical designs including soil profiles and design parameters, shallow foundation settlements and bearing capacities, slope stability analyses, retaining wall and sheetpile walls, and deep foundation design parameters and capacities.
• On site observation of deep foundation installations, load tests, and non-destructive testing when required.
• Developing geotechnical specifications and drawings for construction of earthwork, deep foundation installations, ground improvement, retaining walls, and sheetpile walls.
• Prepare assigned geotechnical design and analysis reports
• Reviewing manufacturer or contractor’s proposals, data, reports, drawing submittals for conformance to B&V criteria or specifications.
• Approximately 30 percent travel, domestic and international.
Requires a bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis/specialization in Geotechnical Engineering from either a recognized ABET accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Note: No experience required.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering with Geotechnical Specialization from either a recognized ABET accredited program in their home country or country in which the professional is practicing. Learning on the Fly, Problem Solving, Intellectual Horsepower, Excellent Written and Oral Communication skills, Proficient computer skills, Drive For Results, Decision Quality, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity, Basic knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides and standards related to assigned engineering discipline Basic industry and technology trends knowledge. Basic knowledge of company quality program. Basic knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles. Minimum GPA of 2.75. EIT registration preferred. Experience with geotechnical engineering software preferred such as gINT, LPILE, GROUP and Slope/W.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.