Black & Veatch Environmental Permitting & Regulatory Specialist in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Environmental Permitting & Regulatory Specialist
Environmental Permitting and Regulatory Specialist needed to research environmental regulations and assist clients in applying for and obtaining permits and achieving compliance with environmental requirements in construction, modification, operation and acquisition/divestiture of major infrastructure and industrial facilities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Researching, monitoring, reviewing and summarizing federal, state, local and international environmental legislation and regulations for industrial development projects, including power generation, transmission, pipelines and other infrastructure
• Consulting with regulatory agencies to obtain relevant data and guidance, ascertain applicable permitting requirements and processes, and identify options and alternatives for obtaining authorizations and waivers
• Preparation of memoranda, documents, reports and permit applications relevant to permitting, licensing, and environmental compliance efforts
• Assist Project Managers in coordinating engineering, environmental and subconsultants in performance of environmental studies and management of scope of work, budget, and schedule for environmental licensing and compliance projects
• Performing evaluations of facilities and properties to assess risks and valuation of assets in transactional divestiture and/or acquisition projects
• Conducting assessments of facilities, including interview of plant and corporate staff to evaluate and characterize the level of compliance with applicable regulations, permits and recognized good industry practices, identify areas and practices that should be implemented to achieve compliance, and assist in the development of environmental management plans
• Developing environmental management plans and programs to mitigate risks, monitor compliance, and establish good management practices for pollution prevention, waste minimization, water management, and delivery, handling and storage of hazardous substances and materials.
• Providing training in good environmental practices to internal and client staff
• Assisting with proposal preparation and business development activities
• Solutions-oriented approach to serving clients and projects
A minimum total of 3 years of related work experience is typically necessary to move into this level. Graduate work may count as related work experience if directly applicable to job function. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• BA/BS degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science, Environmental Studies or related field strongly preferred.
• Additional preference for a MS or JD degree.
• Demonstrable critical thinking, problem solving and teamwork skills
• Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, and regulatory research capabilities.
• Demonstrable client engagement, management and relationship building skills
• Ability to travel both domestically and internationally and work extended hours and weekends when necessary
• Experience in working with or for environmental regulatory agencies, environmental consulting, engineering and/or law firm highly desired
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.